RE: [CentOS] How to select a motherboard

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Thu Dec 15 15:23:32 UTC 2005

From: Todd Cary [mailto:todd at aristesoftware.com]

> OK...now I go to the Intel section, and I am presented with these:
>
> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ViewProducts.hmx?PID=MOTHERBOARDBUN
> DLES-INTEL&updepts=BUNDLE2&DNAME=Motherboard+Bundles%2D+By+MB
>
> Are there some salient factors I should be looking at?

That all depends...  What are you looking FOR?

Why are you replacing the motherboard?  Are you also replacing the
CPU?  Memory?

Do you need IDE?  SATA?  RAID?

Do you have a video card, sound card, and NIC or do you want them built-in?

Do you want PCI-e?

Do you need USB?  Firewire?

CentOS should be compatible with most motherboards out there.  You may
have to find drivers for an oddball video or sound chipset.  On-board
raid you are probably better off ignoring and using software raid
instead.  I usually look for boards from Asus or Abit.  Intel boards
are good as well, but usually don't have as many features and don't
perform as well on the benchmarks.

You may want to check out Newegg.com.  They've got good prices and
selection and quite a few customer reviews on the popular products.

Bowie