[CentOS] Setting up software IDE RAID

Kai Schaetzl

maillists at conactive.com
Sun Dec 18 19:31:23 UTC 2005

I have some old rack boxes which are going to get some bigger harddrives
(IDE/ATA, not SATA) in Spring and I'm wondering if I should put two disks
in them and use them as RAID 1 (software RAID). Objective being that the
machine can hopefully carry on after (one) disk failure (including
rebooting).
I don't have any experience with software RAID. Can I do this during the
normal CentOS (4) setup or can I even do this later (when there's only one
disk and I add another one)?
Does it make a difference performance-wise? (slight drop?)
Is it reliable, so that it will fulfill on the purpose or should I better
forget it?
(Replacing the mainboards or adding RAID controller cards is out of the
question.)
I'm certainly willing to read a How-To or other documentation, but since
it's completely new to me I'm not really sure where to start searching.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany