[CentOS] Where is the kernel source code???

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 22:37:30 UTC 2005

>   I think i gonna compile the kernel by myself however, i dont know
> where to find the kernel source code. Is it possible to get the lastest
> kernel source code from the kernel.org and make oldconfig and compile
> it? I guess i also need to upgrade the centOS stock gcc. Thanks for
> respond, guys

It's possible, yes. It's generally a VERY bad idea though, as the
centos/RHEL kernels are VERY heavily patched, and the centos/RHEL
system is built on them, and designed to work with them. In some
cases, updates depend on you using a specific kernelYou'll jeopardize
stability by building your own kernel from kernel.org sources. This is
true for most modern distros, not just centos and RHEL. Rebuilding the
kernel is no longer something required or recommended for the average
linux user. We've provided a secondary kernel that has the driver you
requested, so I don't see a pressing need for you to rebuild the
kernel.
Yes rebuilding is possible. No I don't recommend it. You'll probably
have issues, at which point I'll probably recommend you use the
provided kernels. If it breaks, you get to keep all the pieces.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT