[CentOS] use chkconfig to change service startup order

Barry L. Kline blkline at attglobal.net
Mon Dec 19 20:10:50 UTC 2005

Erick Perez wrote:
> Hi, I have my httpd process that starts in runlevel3 with the following info
>
> # chkconfig: - 85 15
> #              HTML files and CGI.
> # processname: httpd
> # pidfile: /var/run/httpd.pid
> # config: /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
>
> the filename is /etc/rc.3.d/K15httpd
>
> However I installed an antivirus that uses a tomcat process that *must* be
> started prior to apache.
> the antivirus has the filename /etc/rc3.d/S99ISproxy
>
> How can I make the httpd start *after* the S99ISproxy process?
>
> Thanks,

Do a "man chkconfig" and read through it.  It will explain how to do
this.  The summary information is that you're going to want to modify
the line:

# chkconfig: - 99 ??

in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ISproxy file to change the 99 to a number lower than
85 (so it starts before httpd).  You can then:

chkconfig ISproxy off
chkconfig ISproxy on

to set up the symbolic links.

BK