[CentOS] specifying mount options in /etc/auto.master

Aleksandar Milivojevic

alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Dec 21 16:51:14 UTC 2005

I have this NFS client that used to be on Red Hat 7.3.  For mounting user home
directories I used this line in /etc/auto.master file:

/home yp:auto.home rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192

Moved the box to CentOS 4...  The format of the file changed, so I attempted
something like this:

/home -rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 yp:auto.home

No habla.  Doesn't work.  The rsize and wsize options seems to be ignored (I
type "mount", and they are not there).  Yup, I reloaded configuration after
chaning the file, and made sure to unmount the file system in question.  All
examples in documentation have mount options in the map itself, not in the
auto.master file.  The order for automount in nsswitch.conf is "files nis".

Well, I need those options in local auto.master, since I don't want to change it
in NIS map for all clients (it's a mixed OS environment, and I don't want to
risk to break anything by introducing possibly OS-dependant changes in NIS
map).

Any way to get old behaviour back?