[CentOS] Install Successes!

Thu Dec 22 14:11:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 23:54 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> The CentOS drive for the HP NC4010 is built.  I just needed to use
> external instead of USB power for my USB CDrom.  Go figure...
>
> I did this in my hotel room, where they only have wireless.  I went
> down to the 'business center' and used an ethernet drop, but I don't
> think the registration worked.  I didn't know that even for the
> ehternet drops you have to do that portal thing with your
> browser.  How do I determine if the registration was completed.
>
> Now I am making headway, finally, on the Toshiba Portege 3490.
>
> I was having TERRIBLE timing problems with the multiport extender.
>
> Then I decided to THINK, and went into BIOS, changed the PCMCIA to 16
> bit cardbus, and the install is proceeding well.  I have my 3COM 574
> LAN card in so that the install will do the network installs.  And
> the desk gave me a WET11 so I will have an ethernet drop in the room,
> but I have to do the browser thing before I can register....

The registration thing is a (mostly neutered) hold over from the RHN
registration process ... it is not required for CentOS.

If you have issues, just do this while connected to the internet:

rpm -e rhn-applet up2date gnome-up2date

then

yum install rhn-applet up2date gnome-up2date

and all should be well.