[CentOS] What happened to the Mac Version

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Mon Dec 26 01:28:53 UTC 2005

Russ N3TIH wrote:

> does it support older hard ware such as  iMac G3 233mhz , just got a
> pair of em given to me , and since  im almost 15+ yrs  dos /windows
> literate , os 9 is  bizzare lol , still searching out  what hard ware
> for  network ndmodem and sound it has , cute  blue  all in one boxes ,
> runs  yellow dog 4.0 with not  os problems just lacks sound and
> connectivity  tothe net , other than that   impressive 233 , almost
> compairs to my  slot 1 800 mhz  IBM pc

Those G3's might be a bit painful to use...even if you upgrade the
memory to 256-512mb.  Unless you have some burning desire to get these
running Linux or have very limited funds, I'd say you're a lot better
off with a 2nd hand G4 or G5 (if you want to use a Mac).  Even a $499
Mac mini should blow the doors off a 233mhz G3 by a fairly wide margin.
As a matter of fact, I recently helped a non-profit that received a
donation of 10 Mac minis set up 4 of them as headless web/mail servers.
The only change I made to them was to replace the OEM hard drives with
Hitachi Travelstar 7K100 7200rpm drives.  They're actually rather speedy
when you consider the cost and the form factor.  The remaining units
made nice quiet little workstations for office staff.  We bought $20
external USB enclosures for the OEM 80gig drives and the office folks
use them for backups.

Cheers and merry Christmas,