[CentOS] RPM conflicts - help!

Benjamin Smith

lists at benjamindsmith.com
Mon Dec 26 18:33:48 UTC 2005

I'm building a database/application server with a Dual-Opteron 64 bit system.

I need to run PHP4, Apache, and Postgres 8.1, but I'm having conflicts with
Postgres 8.1 and PHP 4 that comes with CentOS.

History:
1) I installed Apache and PHP with yum.
2) I then installed PostgreSQL 8.1 RPMs from the PG website.
3) Then, I tried to install php-pgsql with yum - and it didn't work,
complaining about pgsql.so.3. So, I installed with --nodeps and symlinked the
/usr/lib64/libpq.so.4 -> /usr/lib64/libpq.so.3.

Now, PHP and PGSQL work without any problems. But now, I can't do a yum update
- it still complains about pgsql.so.3!

What can I do to resolve this?

Thanks,
-Ben