[CentOS] Multiple program instances or multiple log ins?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Dec 27 20:35:29 UTC 2005

At 03:20 PM 12/27/2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > As for why evolution puts its files in hidden directories
> > is because that is pretty much the gnome way and evolution
> > is very much a gnome application.
>
>Yep.
>
>And it's pretty much the "UNIX way" in general.  You almost
>_always_ put user files in the user's home directory.

But HIDDEN???

I have always kept my data organized by identity and have NEVER put
anything in M$s pet directories.  After I install an app, I change
its data directory settings.  Been doing this since QUARTERDECK on 286s.

>That way, it doesn't matter what terminal the user connects from,
>or what access they have on the system, they have their same
>home directory, settings, etc...

And I could mount shares for specific user info from other systems.

>I could go into the
>long history of NT v. Chicago on that (and the lack of
>network-consideration in Chicago), but I won't bore you.

You left out OS/2 there (I gained the dubious title of one of the 5
junior blue ninjas.  anyone here know who the blue ninja on
compuserve was?).  I remember when Culter was hired away from
DEC.  To make a 'real' file system.