[CentOS] Multiple program instances or multiple log ins?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Dec 27 22:03:40 UTC 2005

At 04:32 PM 12/27/2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> > But HIDDEN???
>
>Configuration files and directories in UNIX are almost
>_always_ "dot files."  Files that begin with a dot are not
>shown if you do a list subdirectory (ls) without the all (-a)
>option.

Ah, what is in a name.

General semantics bitting me again.  And I was always a fan of Van
Vogt.  I should know better.

>Again, I said it before and I will say it again, UNIX and
>Windows are _radically_different_ beasts in many areas!  When
>you say things like "But HIDDEN???" many of us UNIX users
>roll our eyes.  Not because we think you are stupid or
>anything, but because you have been "programmed" that things
>are how they are in the Windows world.

Semantics are situational.

> > I have always kept my data organized by identity and have
> > NEVER put anything in M$s pet directories.
>
>That's because Microsoft's profile approaches are, and have
>_always_ been, _severely_broken_!  The infighting and general
>and quite gross ignorance of the NT team by the
>single/home-user Chicago (95/98) team resulted in this.

And Fred quit after they 'ruined' his 'perfectly good' kernel.

>But in the UNIX world, the use of the user's home directory
>-- the $HOME variable or commonly tilde (~) or tilde-user
>(~user) is pretty much an _absolute_.
>

> > After I install an app, I change its data directory settings.
> > Been doing this since QUARTERDECK on 286s.
>
>In UNIX, you want to _avoid_ doing that.  Why?  Because in
>the UNIX world -- _everyone_ knows that user settings go in
>the user's home directory.

Oh, in a Un*x world I would not move them out of the user's home
directory.  Just organize better by identity within home.

But then I wonder where I should put the music, as that would be for any user.

Or other 'shared' data:  RFCs, IEEE specs, and whatnots.

>[ <resume=ON>I spent my college days as not only as the sole
>Internet hostmaster/postmaster of a 15,000 employee
>consulting engineering firm, but also it's sole OS/2 expert.
>I also had IBM and Digital MIPS systems running AIX and Ultra
>and, later, Digital Alpha 21064[A] and 21164 running Windows
>NT, Digital UNIX, OpenVMS and, of course, Linux.</resume> ]

And still there is work for us.

The only person who always got his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.