[CentOS] Multiple program instances or multiple log ins?

Andreas Rogge arogge at gmx.de
Wed Dec 28 16:05:07 UTC 2005

$ rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/bin/Xnest
xorg-x11-Xnest-6.8.2-1.EL.13.20

so "yum install xorg-x11-Xnest" should install Xnest.

The loginscreen ist a bit harder to get:
in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf (if you use gdm) you have to change:
[xdmcp]
Enable=false

[xdmcp]
Enable=true

and restart gdm or simply reboot
Warning: restarting gdm will kill your current session
Warning: with xdmcp enabled you will probably want to enable a firewall
or everybody in the world will be able to get a loginscreen from your
machine

Now you can start Xnest with something like
$ Xnest :1 -query localhost
where :1 ist the display number to use (:1 for the first, :2 for the
second, etc.)
and -query localhost tells Xnest to ask localhost for a login screen

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Andreas