[CentOS] App add/delete and changing from CD install to LAN

Wed Dec 28 17:12:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 11:58 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> At 10:20 AM 12/28/2005, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> >BTW, I know not having a GUI installer is a PITA ...
>
> This is NOT 1984 anymore.  :-D   We are SPOILED.  (of course I still
> run NET USE and XCOPY from a command window.)
>
> >We are looking at some yum GUI front ends like yumex (which seems to be
> >the best we have checked so far).  The only problem I have with yumex so
> >far is that it doesn't work with the yum plugins (at least it did not
> >work with protectbase).
> >
> >The above linked guide will get you using "yum provides", "yum info
> >xxxxx", "yum search xxxxx" and "yum list xxxxx" so that not having a GUI
> >is at least bearable.
>
> Knowledge is a dangerous thing....
>
> Given all that yum claims why is RPM still used so much?

yum uses the RPM database, but does dependency resolution with it's
repos.

up2date can do that as well ...

After things are installed via yum or up2date, RPM or anything that uses
the rpm database can see them installed.

It is OK to think of yum or up2date (or 3rd party apps like apt or
smartpm) as front ends for RPM that do dependency resolution.

>  From what I read here, if there is a package I want that is not in a
> yum repository like Scalix CE, I would download the rpm, then use yum
> with that rpm file.  That way I would take care of any dependencies
> needed by Scalix.

One good thing about yum is it installs RPMS from a local directory and
does dependency resolution from there too (as well as from it's repos).