[CentOS] On compiling for x86_64 on an i386...

Wed Dec 28 18:14:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 19:07 +0100, Maciej Żenczykowski wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Anyway, I have a main development system which is P4 based (without EM64T)
> and a dozen diskless Athlon 64's.  I'd like to be able to compile
> kernel's, etc for the Athlons in x86_64 bit mode.  Any idea how to arrange
> this?
>
> I've recompiled the src.rpm for binutils (added a single line
> "CARGS=--enable-targets=x86_64-linux" to the specfile)
> and "as --64" doesn't bork anymore, so I'm assuming I've got that right...
>
> I'm assuming I next have to do something to gcc?  Haven't figured this out
> yet... Anything else needed?
>
> Holiday cheers,
> MaZe.

You can build a cross compiler tool chain ... but that is a real PITA.

It is MUCH easier if you can compile on an x86_64 machine ... maybe in a
chroot

Not building on an x86_64 machine will cause issues with some SRPMS that
look at RPM variables.

It is certainly possible to build a cross compiler tool chain that will
compile "C" files .. but harder to get it to work with rpmbuild :)