[CentOS] Opteron, Athlon/64, and disaster recovery

Wed Dec 28 20:44:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 12:32 -0800, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> Has anybody here taken a HDD configured with an Opteron system, and then put
> it into an Athlon/64 and had it work?
>
> Are they interchangeable, like an Athlon/32 and a P3/P4?
>
> -Ben

I would think that they would be ... within reason.  (The first time you
run it, there will be kudzu finding all kinds of new hardware).

BUT ... all the software that runs on x86_64 should work exactly the
same on Opteron and Athlon64 ... so unless there is detection issues on
bootup and some things are not detected correctly, it should work OK.

(This is my opinion ... I could be wrong :)