[CentOS] disk mounting madness

Jeff Lasman

blists at nobaloney.net
Wed Dec 28 22:52:53 UTC 2005

I've got a server running CentOS 4.2; installed as 4.1, kept updated by
yum.

A few days ago it crashed.

I picked it up from the datacenter, and brought it back to the office,
where it took a long time to boot because it couldn't find anything.

When it finally booted and I logged in I discovered an interesting
problem.

Only the / partition had loaded.  /etc/fstab had all the partitions
recognized by their labels.

Checking the hard drives showed the labels existed.  I even rewrote the
disk labels.

But the boot procedure couldn't find the drives by their labels.

Nor can a "mount -a" command; it says it can't find the info in fstab
(though it _is_ there).

But long version mount commands work.

And when I redo the fstab file to list the devices rather than labels,
everything mounts as it should.

Any ideas?

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
1254 So Waterman Ave., Suite 50, San Bernardino, CA  92408