[CentOS] Remote print problem -- LPD, IPP and other standard printer ports

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 29 00:59:42 UTC 2005

Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com> wrote:
> Byron -
> I got my wife a Mac (she has only been asking for one for
> three years):  iBook G4.  Well her printer is hooked up to
> a PC and she likes to roam around the house with the
wireless
> connection.  Can your suggestion be implemented in this
> environment?

Yes.  Line Printer Daemon (LPD) is a well-established, legacy
standard.  It uses port 515 and is governed by IETF RFC1179:

  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1179.txt

The new IETF standard is the Internet Printing Protocol
(IPP).  It uses port 631 (both clear and SSL) and is governed
by IETF RFC2910:
  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2910.txt

Another port to be aware of is port 9100, commonly referred
to by it's vendor-centric names like a "HP JetDirect" port.
The technical name is the [HP] Page Description Language
datastream (PDL-datastream) port.  Microsoft calls it a
"TCP/IP port", and you set it up as a local port, which maps
back to the IP address/port.

BSD/SysV UNIX LPD, LPR and LPRng offer LPD services.

CUPS offers IPP by default, and it can also offer LPD
services.
CUPS, as a client, can also use other methods including LPD,
IPP, SMB, PDL-datastream, etc...
CUPS also offers a replacement spooler for NT/2000/XP that
radically simplifies/centralizes administration for Windows
clients.

Windows Servers can offer SMB and LPD, and newer versions can
offer IPP services.  Windows NT/2000 clients can use SMB, LPD
and PDL-datastream, with XP adding IPP.  For IPP, LPD and
PDL-datastream, you set it up as a "local port."

Macs can also use LPD and PDL-datastream, with newer MacOS X
releases supporting IPP.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com