[CentOS] 64bit amd 3700++ and they don't want me to use ecc mem -- CPU, not mainboard

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Thu Dec 29 02:36:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 17:22 -0800, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> rado <rado at rivers-bend.com> wrote:
> > lately...memory has been bugging me!!! kinda dwell on
> > it...even thinking ecc registered even w/the new chipkill
> > tech would be best...
> > today I call Mach Speed Tech back and ask him bout which
> > memory he suggests for that board...I told him I wanted
> > ecc...He tells me nope!  wow..He stated, only if the board
> > is a rated "server" motherboard should I use ecc...
> > I told him I say...I am using this board as a server ...
>
> It's not the mainboard.  It's the processor.
>
> The memory controller is on the _CPU_, _not_ the mainboard or
> its chipsets.  There are literally 368 traces on a
> Socket-939/940 mainboard to its DIMMs -- 2 sets of 184-pin
> DDR.
>
> AMD Socket-939 uses Unregistered
> AMD Socket-940 uses Registered
>
> AMD Athlon 64 are configured to use non-ECC
> AMD Opteron are configured to use non-ECC or ECC
>
> So if you want unregistered ECC, get a Socket-939 Opteron
> If you want registered ECC, get a Socket-940 Opteron
> If you want to use unregistered, non-ECC, get Socket-939 A64
>
> The BIOS/POST/ACPI is going to be so configured,
> respectively, on Socket-939 and 940 mainboards, depending on
> what CPU is inserted.  There may be "hacks" to support
> otherwise on some mainboards, but I seriously doubt it is
> well supported/reliable.
>
> AMD is very anal on this product alignment.
>
> > didn't care...I guess this is a low end board or
> whatever...
>
> No offense, but obviously.  ;->
> You don't use desktop mainboards for servers.
you don't use desktops for servers...some of us are not that bigtime
that we just like to feel the power of a Centos and play and learn the
server bit. Does this mean we should run right out and spend 3-5000.00
for a bigtime server rig??? I guess not! IMHO of course.

> It's the reason why I won't buy a Sun SunFire X2100 either.
>
> > only thing I know is that Mach Speed is the only
> > MB around that gives a lifetime warranty but so what...
>
> I typically _avoid_ TigerDirect for various reasons.
> Their overmarketing of crap is a big one.  ;->

tend to agree w/you there for sure

> > so that was my point and I thought maybe some of y'all
> might
> > find that interesting as I did...
> > Don't use ecc memory...Wow!!!  blew me away!
>
> Not if you know the first thing about how Athlon 64 and
> Opteron differ from AMD's strategy.  ;->

which I am in no way embarrassed to state that I don't know and will not
know all the different mem configs of all the diff AMD processors...
It's just not me but in the same breath, in this one post you cleared up
all the real questions I had along these lines. That's all I really
wanted to know...why that guy never even mentioned the proc is beyond
me!

> Furthermore, many Intel desktop chipsets/CPUs do _not_
> support ECC either.  But with AMD, it's the CPU itself --
> *NOT* the mainboard.
I understand

> > I wanted y'all to hear this
>
> Actually, you're just introducing false
> assumptions/information.
OMG! I was merely trying to relate an experience exactly as it was
played out today. My gringo butt is no way any kind of a memory/proc/mb
guru... ok, I intoduced false info...geez bad, bad me! I am so ashamed!

> For servers, use AMD Opteron.  They have Socket-939 single
> socket (including dual-core) versions now that can use
> lower-costing, unregistered, ECC memory.

it's a 754...can't afford that high dollar stuff

Brian...always w/attitude of course, I must learn to look over it but I
do thank you for your insight here

John Rose
--
...and I woke up 2 days later in the back yard talking to Elvis!