[CentOS] RPM conflicts - help!

Thu Dec 29 12:01:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 00:15 -0800, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> I installed the new compat (there are now both in the dev RPM repo) rpm and
> then was able to install php-pgsql with yum.
>
> I've verified that it works, on the dual-proc Opteron without a hitch. After a
> bit more testing, I'll finally be able to switch over production fully from
> the wheezing, 32-bit P4 server to the big new shiny server...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Is this PG 8.1 ever going to be part of the official 4.x release, or is this
> something that's done separately by you instead of coming from upstream? And,
> the corollary question - what do I need to do to ensure that these packages
> get updated via yum, without subscribing to all the other "development" rpms?

No, it will never be in base / updates, it will be in centosplus (after
we move it out of testing).

How you can get JUST the RPMS you want and no others is to use yum (and
not up2date) for the centosplus repo ...

When we move it to the centosplus repo, in your
"/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo" file, you would change the
centosplus section of the file to look like this:

#-------------------------------------------------------------------
#additional packages that extend functionality of existing packages
[centosplus]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Plus
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/centosplus/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1
includepkgs=postgresql* compat-postgresql-libs*
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4

the only lines that are changed from default are the "enabled=" and the
"includepkgs=" lines ...

If you want to have any files except postgresql* and compat-postgreqsl-
libs*, you will need to add them to the "includepkgs=" line ... because
after use "includepkgs=", yum will only install the packages on that
line from the that repo.

DO NOT USE up2date for the centosplus repo, as it will not honor the
"includepkgs=" line and install all packages from the repo, not just
those listed.  Updates to the CentOSPlus repo will also not show up in
the CentOSNetwork Applet if you use it.

if you are using a different mirror than mirror.centos.org ... you can
include the other mirror URLS instead of mirror.centos.org.