[CentOS] This "find" command

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Fri Dec 30 05:30:58 UTC 2005

> On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 11:38 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 11:13, rado wrote:
>
> > although I did enjoy playing w/this as I had never any experience w/the
> > "-exec" command...well, it produced about the same amt of files to send
> > to rsync w/no clamscan errors that would stop it but it took approx 1 hr
> > to complete.
>
> For programs that take multiple filenames on the command line it is
> much more efficient to pipe the list to xargs instead of using
> exec which will start the program over again for every file.
> However, if you have filenames with embedded spaces, shell
> metacharacters or newlines, you can have problems as xargs
> presents them on a command line to the program.  On GNU based
> systems you can use the -print0 argument to find and -0 to
> xargs to make them pass the filenames null-terminated and
> quote them correctly on the command line.  When I saw your
> first post I wondered if you had filenames with *'s or
> spaces that made clamscan see directories after the shell
> parsing and then waste time with its own recursion.
>
> > also, it seems that no matter what I tried I cannot get find to stop
> > looking in /proc  lol
>
> One way is to use the -mount argument and make separate runs for
> each filesystem.  That also avoids the problem of wandering into
> isos/dvd's/nfs mounts, etc.

whoa...I run CentOS as generic and simply as possible. Only thing I am
guilty of is bash shell lol. I don't even run nfs anywhere!
...my fstab:
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/md1     /                 ext3    defaults        1   1
/dev/md0     /boot             ext3    defaults        1   2
none         /dev/pts          devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0   0
none         /dev/shm          tmpfs   defaults        0   0
none         /proc             proc    defaults        0   0
none         /sys              sysfs   defaults        0   0
/dev/hdc3    swap              swap    defaults        0   0
/dev/hda3    swap              swap    defaults        0   0

/dev/hdb    /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0    /media/floppy     auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

oh my, Les!!! as I was editing the spacing in this fstab, something hit
me!  ...the /proc line and the /sys line could they be the culprits that
have been giving me fits???

ok...I'm too tired tonite...gonna stop right here...tomorrow nite first
thing, I am gonna google around see if I can find some "proper syntax"
for this -mount deal...I read the man...just bounced off me for now.

thx Les

John Rose