[CentOS] cyrus idled not in the cyrus-imapd rpm?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Dec 30 13:28:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 06:23 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 10:19 +0100, sophana wrote:
> > Ok thanks. I did bring the source with apt-get source cyrus-imapd
> > Then I rebuilt the rpmsource with
> > rpmbuild -ba --define='IDLED 1' --define='SEEN_DB skiplist' cyrus-imapd.spec
> >
> > Now Idled works just fine. My emails now appear instantly.
> >
> > But my question is:
> > Why idled is disabled by default? It seems to be working great.
>
> In CentOS, the why question is easy :)
>
> We build it exactly as is comes from the upstream provider so as to
> maintain the packages like they are in the upstream product ... even if
> those are not the best options.
>
> > Does anybody knows if there are drawbacks in using idled?
>
> That I am not sure about ... taking a look, I found this in the change
> log:
>
> -----------------------------------
> Mon Nov 25 13:00:00 2002 Simon Matter
> - changed default build option for IDLED to off
> - included some useful info in README.*
>
> Thu Nov 21 13:00:00 2002 Simon Matter
> - added build time option for IDLED, thank you Roland Pope
> -----------------------------------
>
> SO ... that decision is upstream of RedHat as well (as to IDLED being
> not enabled in the default build).  I can't find any reason why it is
> that way, as far as negative issues are concerned.
----
cyrus-imapd is one of the few packages that I go out of band to get and
use Simon's SRPM's directly from Simon (available from here)
http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/

because he incorporates a much wider array of the 'auto' patches such as
autosieve (which I find especially useful) - patches are described
here...
http://email.uoa.gr/projects/cyrus/

and yes, I knew that idled was working in his rpms. Apparently at the
time that Red Hat embraced his rpms, different decisions reigned.

Craig