[CentOS] RPM conflicts - help!

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Dec 30 16:58:35 UTC 2005

On Thursday 29 December 2005 07:01, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > Is this PG 8.1 ever going to be part of the official 4.x release, or is
> > this something that's done separately by you instead of coming from

> No, it will never be in base / updates, it will be in centosplus (after
> we move it out of testing).

You need to warn people about updating with centosplus enabled, otherwise if
they use centosplus (for perhaps the unsupported kernels or PHP5) and they
have a running PostgreSQL instance, they will get a nasty surprise.

To the OP, a major PostgreSQL version jump/upgrade is virtually impossible to
automate within the constraints of the RPM mechanism (and yum/up2date do not
change the underlying mechanism, except perhaps the order in which triggers
fire and scriptlets execute, but I've not tested that).  You need to know to
do a full backup/dump and wipe the database dir before the upgrade, then do
your restore.  Database upgrades are not easy; PostgreSQL, because of the way
and depth in which it can be extended can be more difficult than most, but
that's due to its power.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology