[CentOS] slow GUI

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 18:33:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 12:19, Jay Leafey wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, would NX be an option here?  I've been pretty happy with running the NX client on XP boxes and
> NXserver/FreeNX on our development server (Dual P4 Xeon 3.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM) but that's not comparable to the box in question.  I have
> used NX to run an XFCE desktop remotely on a less robust system (PIII 800, 128 MB, I think) and it was usable.

I'd expect NX to be more of a load on the server than running
X on it's console.  It basically has to keep a whole screen
image on the server and do computations about the fastest
way to send changes to the client.  That's great when bandwidth
or network latency is an issue - not so great when your problem
is server ram or cpu.

--

  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com