[CentOS] Where is the kernel source code???

Sun Dec 18 22:59:05 UTC 2005
Kevin Krieser <k_krieser at sbcglobal.net>

On Dec 18, 2005, at 4:37 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:

>>   I think i gonna compile the kernel by myself however, i dont know
>> where to find the kernel source code. Is it possible to get the
>> lastest
>> kernel source code from the kernel.org and make oldconfig and compile
>> it? I guess i also need to upgrade the centOS stock gcc. Thanks for
>> respond, guys
>

> It's possible, yes. It's generally a VERY bad idea though, as the
> centos/RHEL kernels are VERY heavily patched, and the centos/RHEL
> system is built on them, and designed to work with them. In some
> cases, updates depend on you using a specific kernelYou'll jeopardize
> stability by building your own kernel from kernel.org sources. This is
> true for most modern distros, not just centos and RHEL. Rebuilding the
> kernel is no longer something required or recommended for the average
> linux user. We've provided a secondary kernel that has the driver you
> requested, so I don't see a pressing need for you to rebuild the
> kernel.
> Yes rebuilding is possible. No I don't recommend it. You'll probably
> have issues, at which point I'll probably recommend you use the
> provided kernels. If it breaks, you get to keep all the pieces.
>

> --
> Jim Perrin
> System Architect - UIT
> Ft Gordon & US Army Signal Center

I know that, with RHEL 2.1, compiling the stock 2.4.18 kernel instead
of the Redhat kernel causes problems with the sadc program.  If I
forget to disable it with cron, the computer gets VERY slow with the
large numbers of this program eating up all available CPU time.