[Centos] IBM x226 lockups, convert CentOS to RHEL 3.0

Barry L. Kline

blkline at attglobal.net
Tue Feb 1 19:33:27 UTC 2005

I have a friend who has been having an intermittent problem with his
nice, shiny new IBM x226 server.  It's a Xeon processor, 1.5Gb RAM,
hardware RAID controller running CentOS 3

The system will will sometimes run for a couple of weeks, then simply
lock up -- nothing on the console, no response to pings, no "caps-lock"
lights, no kernel panic indicators, nothing in the logs to indicate the
  problem.  Other times the machine may lock up three times in one day.
At the last call to me he did report that the hard drive lights flicker
every once in a while during one of the systems catatonic states, but
other than that there was no indication of life.

We have been in contact with IBM servicce and have run their hardware
tests, which perform flawlessly.  We have now come to the point where
they claim that "CentOS is not a supported OS" and even though they
acknowledge CentOS as a RHEL clone, they argue that there is no support
path for them to follow to pursue possible software problems.

The system owner is ready to buy RHEL, just to get service on his
machine, but I am wondering -- how difficult is it to convert from
CentOS to RHEL?  Is it similar to the conversion from RHEL to CentOS or
from WBEL to CentOS?  I would like to avoid a complete reload.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

TIA,

Barry