[Centos] bug: comps has wrong version number

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Thu Feb 3 14:33:04 UTC 2005

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 13:39 +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
>
>>Farkas Levente wrote:
>>
>>>hi,
>>>comps in rh9 is comps-9-0.20030313 while in the latest centos-3.4 it's
>>>comps-3.4centos.0-0.20050105 so the rh9 has higher version number which
>>>means this packages not upgraded during an upgrade to any version of
>>>centos. and yum also not upgrade this package. imho it's a bug.
>>>is there any way to find out what other packages is remain from some
>>>older rh version?
>>>yours.
>>
>>ok. that's not the only package, there are dozens, just run:
>>rpm -qa --queryformat
>>"%-45{VENDOR}\t%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-SERIAL:%{SERIAL}\n"|egrep
>>"Red Hat"
>>just to mention a few:
>>cpio, mktemp, tmpwatch, etc.
>>it'd be useful to review all the rh9 packages and compare there version
>>number to the latest centos version. eg:
>>tcpdump-3.7.2-7.E3.2 (centos) is less then tcpdump-3.7.2-7.9.1 (rh9).
>>this is not a serious problem since they are probably the same, but
>>wouyld be useful to be consistent.
>>yours.
>

> This is an upstream issue ... and one of the reasons why RH doesn't
> officially support an upgrade from RH9 to RHEL3 ... since we rebuild the
> Source SRPMS, we inherit that problem.
>
> We can't change the packages in question since they will then not track
> upstream after that.
>
> If you have continued doing fedoralegacy updates after RH stopped
> supporting RH9, it will compound the problem.
>
> The mailing list has many people who have upgraded to help in the
> process though :)

we already upgraded all of our servers when centos-3 released, but we
just realized this problem. imho there are many server which are
upgraded from rh8 (which was upgraded from rh8 etc). so this is a the
problem of a lots of server.
anyway i'll write a small script which force the upgrade in case of such
packages and i'll post it here too.
yours.