[Centos] Red Hat Legal Targets www.centos.org website content

ago at lsc.hu ago at lsc.hu
Mon Feb 14 22:08:18 UTC 2005

hi all,

I'm a newcomer to CentOS but not to linux and open source.
I have a point of view as a user, as a developer and as an owner of a
little llc in Hungary.

> I don't know if it's true. Maintaining CentOS is (I over-simplify)
rebuilding RH's SRPMs.
> Without the SRPMs, it takes a lot of people to backport patch all the
> packages, compile, test/QA,... It's what the Fedora Legacy project is
> currently doing and it is a lot of work for a lot of people. Work very
> different in nature from the "simple" rebuilding required to maintain
> CentOS.
I think this guy has the point. If RedHat would just satisfy the
requirements of GPL that would be enough that they snail mail their
patches. Or put a printed edition into a library somewhere in the states
or - the most extreme case and disputable - they should tell they got the
money for support and not the modification and not redistribute the
patches. On the other hand the guy misses the point that CentOS is able to
survive if RH doesn't release SRPMS. It would be harder but not
impossible.

To be clear: yes, I'm sure half of the management of RH just gives back
the code because they have to. BUT. What do you think why the big players
in industry like HP, Intel, IBM etc. support linux kernel
developement and other open source projjects? Just because they are
interested in having another platform not just Windows and Solaris and
there's a hype and request from users. But they have to be sure they can
give support. The big players and big companies rely on official support.
That's where RedHat comes into the scene. They make the relationship with
comapanies like oracle, building test centers, do a lot of Q/A and pay
lots of of develepoers. And what a surprise: lot of IT managers wouldn't
support their effort with as less money as 100$/year/system. Which would
be more than enough if all the companies who would like to use RHEL just
pay this amount of money. So RedHat wants to make sure they can pay the
developers and of course make a profit, too. That's the way goes. RedHat
takes the way of "ransom support" - get it whether you want or not - but
that's much more honest than other companies strategy and pricing. If
there's no RHEL there's no patches and 5 years of continous support and
security updates - a must for the middle sized companies with serious IT
management and infrastructure. There would be no CentOS, WhiteBox,
TaoLinux etc.

What I dislike in this situation is that they not allow to use the RedHat
and RHEL expression if the website just says that CentOS isn't related to
RedHat and "just" rebuild the sources.

Thanks your attention,
Ago