[Centos] Upgrading FC2 -> Centos4RC1 (possible, but messy)

Matt Bottrell mbottrell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 13:09:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 02:05:39 -0700, Michael Best <mbest at pendragon.org> wrote:
> This was my experience with upgrading, your mileage may vary especially
> if it's in kilometers.  This is what I had to do to get my system
> running again.

I'm constantly surprised how many people wish to 'upgrade'.

Historically I've been updating my Linux distro when Redhat still was
shipped in nappies.  I've learnt pretty early on the following:

1. Never trust an OS upgrader... it always is like a dog with diarrhea
running through your house.  :(
2. Keep seperated partitions...   /home /usr/local  and normally the
ones you wish to keep...  (I also backup the entire /etc directory)
3. Ensure you have working backups... well of at least the stuff you
MUST get back.
4. Choose to install fresh (not upgrade), and format the existing
partitions /, /usr, /tmp and /var....  whilst you probably wish to
keep /usr/local and /home.
5. Recover anything you need (such as /etc based files).

You'll be up and running much faster... without the mess.  ;)