[Centos] Upgrading FC2 -> Centos4RC1 (possible, but messy)

Michael Best mbest at pendragon.org
Sun Feb 20 15:31:16 UTC 2005

Matt Bottrell wrote:
> I'm constantly surprised how many people wish to 'upgrade'.
>
> Historically I've been updating my Linux distro when Redhat still was
> shipped in nappies.  I've learnt pretty early on the following:

I had the option.

I have backups, separate partitions, all that fun stuff.

Mostly, it was more of an informative upgrade.

I certainly wouldn't suggest that people do this on a server, but this
was on a desktop.  I wanted to show that it was possible, and that it
was/wasn't a good idea, however, there are all types out there and
someone might want to try it.

Just my experience with it, if someone finds it useful, great.  If not,
well at least I got an upgraded desktop out of it.

Also at the end of it I ended up with 79 "fc2" packages, everything from
  desktop style things like mozilla-acroread to things like syslinux,
tzdata, system-config-samba, libraries, etc.

  -Mike