[Centos] how to change default shell when using adduser/useradd

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Feb 21 15:24:54 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 21.02.2005 schrieb Alex White um 16:08:

Hi Alex!

> Haven't seen you around in a long time. What's the haps man?

A bit busy in the last weeks - and did post enough in the last year on
the Fedora list ;)

> Here's a side question in relation to the shell. Which
> convention is more correct, or does it even matter. /bin/false
> or /bin/nologin?

With the /sbin/nologin shell you get a feedback that the account login
is disabled. /bin/false is just silent. What you use depends on specific
target. For login-less FTP user account for example I prefer /bin/false.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 16:20:38 up 3:29, 17 users, 1.15, 1.31, 1.19