[Centos] Oracle Apps on Linux

John Newbigin jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au
Tue Feb 22 21:54:40 UTC 2005

Steven Vishoot wrote:

> the stubs file has the compact libs
The required libraries are 'compat', short for computability.  Even
though Oracle may run on CentOS-3, CentOS-4 etc, it is built for a
CentOS-2 like environment (well at least 9i is), so you need CentOS-2
libraries.  These have been conveniently packages for CentOS-3 users
into the '-compat' rpm packages.

(from pushitz)
compat-db-4.0.14-5.i386.rpm
compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.122.i386.rpm
compat-gcc-c++-7.3-2.96.122.i386.rpm
compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.122.i386.rpm
compat-libstdc++-devel-7.3-2.96.122.i386.rpm
etc.

  in them. since
> oracle has built it db's on a older libs the stubs
> file is needed to be able to install it without much
> troubles. this is what i have experienced in the past,
> i dont know how it is to install it on centos or with
> 10g or higher since my computer does not have enough
> ram for that app to run. correct me if i am wrong.
You could possibly still install and run Oracle if you had enough swap
instead.  Sure it might not be very fast....  As already mentioned, for
oracle on linux, always read this first
http://www.puschitz.com/OracleOnLinux.shtml

And don't forget OTN.  That is getting better these days.  And remember
to check out the Oracle Instant Client which can now be used with PHP :)

John.

--
John Newbigin
Computer Systems Officer