[Centos] Migration

Thu Feb 24 13:37:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 09:29 -0300, Roger Jochem wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I'm new to the list. I just upgraded 3 White Box Linux servers
> (database, application and internet) yesterday to Centos 3.4 using the
> info in
>
> http://centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=19.
>
> Very easy, and that was a very helpfull document!
>
> The decision was based in the speed of updates, really much faster in
> Centos! Is there a similar way to upgrade a Fedora Core 1 server to
> Centos 3.4? Would it be possible? I saw some messages in the list
> about it (archives) but I don't know if in the time the version of
> Centos was 3.4, and some people said that it whas not possible because
> would be a downgrade of some packages...
>
> Regards
>
> Roger Jochem
FC1 is newer than CentOS-3.x ... so it would be a downgrade....which, as
you can imagine, isn't nearly as easy as an upgrade.

You could use the CD install with "linux upgradeany" and select upgrade
(or a yum upgrade) and then do a:

rpm -qa --queryformat "%{name} %{vendor}\n"

to see what is still fedora and what is centos ... then force install
the proper replacement.

Might be easier and faster to just install on a new machine and migrate
over (or full backup / migration) if possible.