[Centos] Re: centos-announce list?

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Fri Feb 25 09:39:11 UTC 2005

Dnia 25-02-2005, pią o godzinie 00:45 +0100, Anne Possoz napisał(a):
> That make sense. But wouldn't it be enough to have a special
> quote at the beginning of the subject like
> [Centos] [ANNOUNCE]
> [Centos] [SECURITY]
> so that filtering could satisfy anyone.
Well, no. Not everyone want (or even know how) to play with procmail.
It's simpler to just subscribe to the information you want. I can use
VFolders instead of procmail, but that requires downloading all of the
messages to my computer, which takes a really long time on my link (and
there are people with 28800 modems). Even if I do use procmail (well, I
do), think about how much of caosity.org's bandwidth will go monthly
just to be dropped on the other side... If this list produces 5 MiB of
traffic monthly and announces would produce 50 KiB, think about the
difference of sending it out to 1000 people.

I know all the other projects having and *-announce lists can be wrong,
but they really spend less machine and human power thanks to that
lists :)

Lam