[Centos] Kernel Question

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 25 22:54:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 17:06 -0500, Chris Bryant wrote:
> OK- A dumb question. Will a "generic"(kernel.org) kernel work with Centos 4?
> My reason for asking- I'm needing to upgrade from RH9, and would rather
> go ahead and go with 4 for the 2.6 kernel, but I need a patched kernel
> (Win4Lin), and I'm not sure they will offer a prepatched version (though
> they probably will for EL4).

I have not tried this on Centos 4 but on the -3 series, the kernel would
boot fine, but I couldn't get XFree to run. I did not research it very
far, but I'm guessing it had to do with the patches. Do you have the
option of attempting to apply the patch(es) you need to the Centos 4
kernel to see if it will apply?

--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc dot rr dot com>