[Centos] Think someone has got into my server...

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Tue Jan 11 10:58:11 UTC 2005

WipeOut wrote:
> I have just run chkrootkit on my server and have the following two
> suspicious entries..
>
> Searching for suspicious files and dirs, it may take a while...
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/.packlist

There should be only a list of perl packages in that file. You can check
it very easily.

> and further down..
>
> Checking `bindshell'... INFECTED (PORTS:  465)
>
> Anyone have any advice for getting rid of it??

Find out which program listens on that port - and if you need it. 465
is smtps (SMTP over SSL).

You can do so with netstat, lsof or fuser.

chkrootkit can only give you hints - you have to look for yourself, if
it is assuming correctly or fooling you.

Ralph