[Centos] RHEL 4 => CentOS 4

Mon Jan 17 11:32:30 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 11:25 +0100, Michiel van Es wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to try to switch from CentOS 3.4 => CentOS 4 beta.
>
> I hava a couple of questions:
>
> -is possible to upadte/upgrade my test box from 3.4 => 4 and what are
> the yum.conf settings/requirements?

I tried with yum, it didn't work out very well.  Since python and rpm
have major upgrades in the process it doesn't go well.  I was able to
get the upgrade done, but the end result was not as user friendly as I
would like.

> -is it easy to update your CentOS 4 beta => CentOS 4 when the stable
> version comes out?

When I used anaconda the results were much better.  At the first
isolinux prompt, type the command:

linux upgradeany

And then pick upgrade the CentOS install.

This method worked OK for 4 test installs that I upgraded.  (x86
workstation, x86 server, x86_64 workstation, x86_64 server).

So, my recommendation, use anaconda and not yum to do the upgrade.

I expect the RHEL final to be released soon...they have removed all the
files from the RHN RHEL4 Beta Channels.  That is exactly what they did
before the last release of RHEL 3.  You might want to wait unless this
is a test machine.

--
Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>