[centos] xfce4 for CentOS howto

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jan 19 12:42:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Julius Suarez wrote:

> Hi! Am new in trying CentOS, can you please help me how to install
> xfce4. What do I need to add in my yum,.conf    or in my   source.list
> for my apt-get.

As to Centos, there are not native RH packages for xfce4 in
CentOS 2 or CentOS 3; Those projects are of course fairly
strict rebuild rather than extension efforts.  It is
straightforward, if a bit tiring to build it from sources, and
it builds and runs just fine on CentOS 3, CentOS 4 beta and
cAos-2 beta.  I just snapshoted a new one under CentOS-34 with
xfcalendar and xfce4-weather

 	http://www.herrold.com/centos4b2-xfce.png
 	http://www.herrold.com/caos2-xfce.png
 	http://www.herrold.com/xfce-406-centos34.png

I maintain a README, and copies of sources of xfce4 at 4.0.6
at:
 	ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/mirror/ORC/xfce4/
which outlines the process and build sequence to permit doing
just that, along with some later xfce applets and gtk
packages.

I have also build the later (newly released) 4.2 (both 'along
the way' and after its formal release across the weekend) on
CentOS 3 and in the CentOS 4 beta candidate.

-- Russ Herrold