[Centos] RHEL question

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Fri Jan 21 23:06:30 UTC 2005

Steve,

'up2date' has a download only option (-d/--download); you could use that
after some fashion (might take a little hacking) to routinely snag all
upgrades post-ISO, and build your own apt repository. Take a look at
repo-janitor (over on the FreshRPMS list), maybe it'll give you some ideas.

Start with something like:
   /usr/sbin/up2date --nox --showall > /tmp/allrpms.txt
   sed [magic sed switches to remove version] < /tmp/allrpms.txt >
/tmp/all.txt
   for $line in /tmp/all.txt; do
     /usr/sbin/up2date --nox -d --tmpdir=/path/to/apt/repo --get $line
   done
   /commands/to/make/apt/repo

(complete psuedo code, not a bit of it tested :) )

-te

Steve Meyers wrote:
> I work for a small company, and we're running CentOS on our servers.  We
> are looking to possibly move our most critical servers to RHEL.  We
> currently use apt to deploy software upgrades to our servers.  I have a
> question about RHEL subscriptions that they don't seem to be able to
> answer for me.  If you have an RHEL subscription, do you have access to
> manually download the RPMs?  We would prefer to deploy upgrades using
> apt instead of up2date, for consistency, but we need to know whether we
> can even do that on RHEL.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve Meyers

Troy Engel | Systems Engineer