[Centos] .c0 RPM's

John Newbigin jn at it.swin.edu.au
Sun Jan 23 22:09:07 UTC 2005

Johnny Hughes wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 07:34 -0600, randy hoffman wrote:
>
>>Probably missing something obvious here, but what determines when an
>>RPM is built with a .c0 extension vs. not?  Seems to be mostly on
>>kernel RPM's.
>>

> .c0 was the extension for the early kernels ... we don't use it anymore.
>
> Basically, if we need to modify the RH Source RPM, we want everyone to
> know it is modified by the CentOS team.
>
> Exactly how to handle that is being looked at right now ... currently,
> we use:
>
> xxxx.c2.0.src.rpm for CentOS-2
> xxxx.centos3.0.src.rpm for CentOS-3
> xxxx.centos4.0.src.rpm for CentOS-4
Actually, CentOS-2 starts at c2.1 indicating the first change and c2.2
for the second etc.

CentOS-3 used to use centos3.0 to indicate that the change was only in
the spec file.  I don't know if this is still being done.

I think the numbering systems need to get into the FAQ because even I am
confused.  Also, we need to decide what 'standard' to follow to make
sure that there is less confusion in the future.

I was also thinking about the support lifetime of CentOS-3.  5 years of
quarterly updates will make it CentOS-3.20 with 20 copies of all the
updates on the mirrors?.  Another issue that I think needs to get sorted
out sooner rather than later.

John.

--
John Newbigin