[Centos] RHEL question

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Jan 25 01:49:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Matt Shields wrote:

> Going along that lines, the idea of paying RedHat for RHEL is for
> companies that want that warm fuzzy feeling they get with having the
> ability to open a support ticket with a company.
>
> The company I work for has service contracts with RedHat and
> Microsoft, yet, in the 7 years they've been in business they have
> never once opened a ticket with either company.  I've tried convincing
> them to switch all the RHEL servers to CentOS, but they say paying RH
> & MS is like paying for insurance.

Not only that, you're supporting future development of a piece of software
(or rather a compilation of software pieces) that may be critical for your
business.

Even when you're considering to use CentOS, keep in mind that CentOS is a
recompilation of a product. Without the existence of that product, CentOS
would not exist (or at least not in its current form).

PS I don't own any Red Hat stock, I wish I could afford it though :)