[Centos] centos4/rhes4 - mysql4?

Steve Meyers steve-centos at spamwiz.com
Wed Jan 26 04:48:42 UTC 2005

Simon Garner wrote:
> In any case PHP is not GPL but its own PHP License, and MySQL has a
> specific exception in their license for PHP. Which is why Fedora are now
> including MySQL 4.1 and PHP 5 in FC3.

Exactly.  That was the issue, that PHP is not GPL.

As an aside, the MySQL people have always felt that if your application
depended on MySQL, then that would be considered "linking" under the
GPL.  So to them, it didn't matter that you were using their LGPL
libraries.  Nobody else really bought their argument though, so they
changed the libraries to GPL in an effort to clarify their position.  I
think they were under the impression that PHP was GPL-compatible, and
didn't realize that GPL'ing their libraries would cause such a fuss.