[Centos] Coraid Ether Drives

Timothy Sandel timothy at jupiter.stcl.edu
Thu Jan 27 02:47:52 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 11:00 +0100, Eiliv Haugland wrote:
> Hello
>
> My company is changing server software to CentOS on Dell equipment.
> At the same time we are expanding our RAID system from standard SCSI to
> either SATA, or the technology brought forward by Coraid using the AoE
> protocol.

Why SATA?  We only use Dell dual Xeons running Centos3 with perc
controllers and hardware raid5.  You install Centos and all works out of
the box with no special driver setup.  Dell uses the fujitsu 10k rpm
drives by default (cheap! only about a $110 US for a 36gb drive).  I
know there is a lot of buzz out there about SATA, but in the server
arena I want something that just works.

> Before we take the final decision I am looking for some real experience
> with Coraid products on a scale of 30+ disks.
> We will be using a cluster of four servers with a mix of RAID10 and
> RAID5.
>
> Does anyone have any experience into this area

I'm fixing to build a cluster of three servers for an Oracle backend (of
course it will be SCSI based).  I'll post when I have some valid data.