[Centos] Secure server install

Beau Henderson silentbob at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 21:54:12 UTC 2005

To each his own really. I've had no problems resizing in the past 4
years i've used my partitioning scheme and it works quite well..

Now.. The point here of having this many partitions is reliability and
security. For instance, with /tmp mounted, you can modify the options
to disallow file execution, and others. This is extremely handy on a
web server system as users will upload files to that directory, and at
times so do vulnerable scripts.

In /usr and /var we typically have mysql data, system log files, and
mail data ( among other things ). Partitioning these can be a life
saver in times of, lets say mailbombing, or out of control log files,
etc. If we allowed the data to be combined in one partion, there's a
good chance if full, we'd not be able to log in to the server
completely.

Typically you're not going to use all the disk space available on your
drive. And its not always necessary to partition in a way in which
we've advised. I've had clients with horribly configured partions and
in such cases its been necessary ( due to available resources ) to
move the data to a different partion with more space and create
symlinks to that data.. which sort of kills the point of the
partitions in the first place.

Partitioning in the correct way can also help aid performance of the
system, lets not forget that.

Here's what plesk recommends partion wise for plesk 7.5 reloaded:
http://faq.sw-soft.com/index.php?ToDo=view&questId=452&catId=88

--
Beau Henderson
http://www.iminteractive.net