[Centos] OT: Which programming language should I use?

Benjamin J. Weiss

benjamin at birdvet.org
Thu Jan 27 22:10:58 UTC 2005

Sorry for the OT post, just looking for a pointer from somebody who's
been there and done that.

I'm looking to write a program that will allow for managing documents
that have been encrypted with AES.  I want the program to be as
cross-platform as possible, so at the least it needs to run in
Win2K/WinXP and in linux X-windows (X.org).

Now, I used to write in Java a few years ago, so I guess that's an
option.  My concerns are that back then Java was slow, and I don't know
if there's an easy-to-use cross-platform crypto library for Java.

I've seen at least one program that was written in python and Tkinter on
the web that offers the source for running in linux, and they offer a
.exe download.  (http://www.axware.nl)  I don't know how they do it, but
I saw a claim on the web that python/Tkinter was a great cross-platform
combo.

The idea is that the user will type in a passphrase and the program will
grab the file and either display it (if simple, like text) or launch
another program (like pdf).  I'll also need to figure out how to tell
the program not to swap the memory to disk

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ben