[CentOS] Re: boot failure after install -- my bootloader beat up your honor student

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Sat Jul 2 14:13:17 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> Feizhou wrote:
>
>>I completely disagree with you here since I use grub over pxe to
>>install/boot my servers and avoid any local bootloading problems.
>

> From: Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org>
>
>>In one sentence,  grub is poorly documented, over complicated pants, and
>>lilo ROCKS...
>

> At the risk of offending even more people by suggesting a "middle
> ground" where _each_ might actually be applicable more than the other
> (gasp!  not again!):

There is no middle ground on this one...they are not comparable.

> - GRUB is an intelligent boot-loader that is more "dynamic" because it
> inspects the disk at boot-time, but that requires it have drivers for
> the disk label (partition table format), slices (filesystems), etc... as
> appropriate, including introducing geometry issues if GRUB is booting
> multiple installs, OSes, etc... if the other installs don't agree with GRUB
> on geometry.

This hardly does justice to the power and flexibility that grub gives
you. Now that FC4 Anaconda does root on mirror install right, the last
likely to be widely encountered problem with using grub on RH/FC will be
toast. If you ask me, this one is the only problem people have with grub
sans those who can't be bothered to learn grub properly.

> - LILO is a dumb, "boot this sector offset" boot-loader, but that means
> it really doesn't care much for the underlying disk label, slices, geometry,
> etc... other than some basic disk label editing/modification capabilities
> (although that does introduce some disk label, slice, geometry, etc...
> considerations if they are used).

don't forget install time configuration only.