[CentOS] Correlation with LNAELV ....

Sun Jul 3 18:01:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 11:38 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> .... I am new to this list (got referred here from the fedora list, COLD
> ....) and have a few questions. I poked around CentOS.org & couldn't
> figure these out, so here goes:
>
> 1. What is the correspondence, if any, betwixt RHEL, err, I mean LNAELV
> version #'s and CentOS version #'s ?

as explained by Ignacio

But one thing I again want to stress ... CentOS-3.x is CentOS-3 the
updates are rolled in, just like upstream.  If you have CentOS-3 and you
do updates, you will get to CentOS-3.5  (This is exactly like
upstream ... if you have EL3 and do updates, you have EL 3 update 5).
Also just like upstream, it makes no difference if you start with
CentOS-3.1, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5 or any other CentOS-3 ... when you are done
with updates, you will be at the latest CentOS-3 level (currently 3.5).

> 2. Does CentOS plan to branch permanently away from LNAELV distribution,
> or periodically re-sync ?

We use the unmodified SRPMS provided from upstream as is as much as
possible, and there are only a very small percentage of SRPMS that are
changed in any way (94% SRPMS are exactly as upstream).  For CentOS-4,
see these release notes that explain the differences:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/os/i386/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html

The major majority of the changes are trademark and artwork related ...
anything that is not is specifically called out in the above link.

We do provide some items that are not part of the upstream release and
are in 3 repositories (that you should probably not use if you want
maximum likeness).  They are the extras, contrib and centosplus repos.

See this readme for all the centos repos that are available:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/Readme.txt

Here is the centosplus repo info:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/centosplus/Readme.txt

> 3. How long have you been around, I have been looking for something like
> this for years now :-) ?

CentOS began before RHEL-3 was released in October of 2003. The first
non-beta release came in January 2004.  So there have been official
CentOS releases for 18 months.  We will be around forever :)