[CentOS] Re: Hot swap CPU

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Mon Jul 4 17:19:55 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 10:02:04AM -0500, alex at milivojevic.org wrote:

> My guess is that you'll be doing only sparc64 distribution, and not
> sparc32?  I
> remember reading somewhere that 2.6 kernel was not fully ported to
> sparc32 (and
> it was uncertain if it will be ever fully ported), but that might be
> old news. So I guess it will be combination of 64-bit kernel and mixed
> 32/64-bit
> userland?

I don't know if anything ever comes out to public, but most propably it
would be more like the current ppc64, where the userspace is mostly
32bit and the 64bit parts are from 'what is needed'. I hate summer.
Even now the temperatures are high enought that i can't even dream of
keeping any sparc hardware running for ón/off efforts make it progress
while i do have spare minutes :/

> While we are at that, is AXP port fully 64-bit (like OpenVMS and/or Digital
> UNIX), or you use 32/64-bit mix model (as most other 64-bit operating
> systems
> on most other 64-bit processors)?

As long a i have worked with alpha, the Linux for it has always been
'native 64bit only'. I've read that alpha would be capable of running
32bit apps too and even that the initial (non public) port of Linux to
alha at DEC labs (or something) has been 32bit. While i was working
with the debian installer for alpha (back -97. Google should tell :),
the system was fully 64bit back then too. Now the so called
CentOS-4.1beta/alpha is 64bit too.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/