[CentOS] What do you think about this motherboard?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jul 5 07:03:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 13:54 +0800, Feizhou wrote:
> The problem servers I have use VT82C598/694x [Apollo MVP3/Pro133x AGP]
> related northbridges.

In all fairness to ViA, the mVP3 is:
1)  A really _old_ Socket-7 chipset, and
2)  _Never_ designed for servers

There was a long history of numerous revs of the mVP3 chipsets with all
sorts of issues.  In reality, the smartest thing AMD ever did was get
away from GTL and switch to EV6.

As far as the first generation of EV6 Via 694x (Pro/133[A]) chipsets,
they were _never_ designed for servers either.  But I successfully ran a
694x with a 4-channel 3Ware Escalade 6410 for a good 18 months with 0
data loss.

I still prefer AMD, nVidia and ServerWorks (Intel) chipsets for stable
I2C and I2O chipsets for production workstations and servers over ViA
and SiS, but using the old GTL mVP3 as a benchmark is well outta date.
;->

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->