[CentOS] Compiling kernel 2.6.12.2 with gcc-3.4.3-22.1

Jose Alburquerque

jaalburquerque at cox.net
Tue Jul 5 23:50:48 UTC 2005

Hi.  I just have a quick question that maybe some of you might know.
I'm thinking of compiling a new kernel (kernel 2.6.12.2) for my system
which is running CentOS 4 (updated to 4.1 using yum).  I downloaded the
kernel tarball and read in the docs that for stability gcc 2.95.x (x>=3)
might be best to compile the new kernel.  With an "rpm -q gcc" command I
see that I have gcc-3.4.3-22.1 installed on my box.  Can anyone tell me
if the kernel I'm trying to compile will compile fine using the version
I have installed?  Should I "downgrade" my gcc to 2.95 to compile this
kernel?

The reason I'm trying to compile an new kernel is that my system uses a
LSI Logic/Symbios Logic 53c875 SCSI controller (information obtained
from "System Tools/Hardware Browser" menu in GNOME) and I keep getting a
bunch of errors like the following in my system logs:

sym0:0:0:phase change 6-7 11 at 12856b84 resid=2.

I read somewhere that by compiling a new kernel (2.6.11, I think), this
problem might go away and I wanted my system to run as efficiently so
decided to compile a new kernel.  Am I doing the right thing?  Thanks!

Sincerely
Jose