[CentOS] Compiling kernel 2.6.12.2 with gcc-3.4.3-22.1

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jul 6 13:33:02 UTC 2005

> I read somewhere that by compiling a new kernel (2.6.11, I think),
> this problem might go away and I wanted my system to run as
> efficiently so decided to compile a new kernel.  Am I doing the right
> thing?  Thanks!

My ignorance here, is there a CentOS "Development" kernel or other
option?  I noticed the one in CentOS plus, but it is still based on the
stock 2.6.9.  I assume that's for maximum compatibility.

If not, I typically use Fedora Development (fka Rawhide), although I
would _not_ recommend that for production systems.  Grab the SRPM from
Fedora Development and see if it builds (rpmbuild --build --target=i386|
i686|x86_64) on CentOS 4:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.12-1.1421_FC5.src.rpm

I would at least try this one _instead_ of a "stock kernel" from
kernel.org.  Or is there another option that I'm not aware of?

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->