[CentOS] Re: Compiling kernel 2.6.12.2 with gcc-3.4.3-22.1

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 6 15:08:09 UTC 2005

From: Jose Alburquerque <jaalburquerque at cox.net>
> Sorry, I'm not very experienced and didn't know exactly where to turn
> to compile a new kernel.

Well hold on.  ;->

If there is one area where Fedora Core (FC) and Red Hat Enterprise
Linux (RHEL) _really_ differ, it's the kernel.  So you _might_ run into
issues with rebuilding that on RHEL/CentOS 4, especially since Fedora
Development is currently targeting FC 5 -- 2 revisions (~12 months)
ahead of where RHEL/CentOS 4 is at.

That's why I was wondering if there is a "Development" kernel more
for RHEL/CentOS than Fedora Development.  I have used the Fedora
Development kernels on RHEL/CentOS in the past, but typically only
on desktops or systems under test.

> Thanks for the link!  I'd much rather have an rpm than compiling
> directly from source!

Well, it's really more than just that.  It's all the patches and
other fixes Red Hat adds.  As much as Red Hat is trying to use
the vanilla kernel in Fedora Core as of kernel 2.6, there are still
a number of patches, tweaks, etc... that still go in.

If I need to modify anything, unpackage the RPMBUILD/SPEC
environment, create a formal patch and "rpmbuild -bb kernel-2.6.spec"
directly.  But I typically and rarely have to do that, and it's a
matter of "rpmbuild --rebuild --target=i686|x86_64 kernel-2.6*.src.rpm"
directly.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org